Thursday, August 16, 2007

How Photography Can Make You a Better Designer

I have often come across this question by many ...
How does being a photographer help in becoming a designer or how does photography relate to the design activities that i do?
I have believed that both are related in some way or the other and that the theory of one does hold good for the other too. The principles of symmetry, balance, harmony and contrast are applicable fully to design as equally as in photography.
I believe in keeping things simple and like to see my photographs and design follow the principle of Simplicity. I feel that each element in my frame are equally responsible for the overall impact of the photograph/design and that they all are coherently involved in creating what one would call a better User Experience.

I recently came across this article where many designers across the world have their say on this very question.
Some excerpts:
"I like to think of design as my bread and butter while photography is the chocolate pudding." -Steph Goralnick, graphic designer.

"What you don't show is even more important than what you do. The mind is fertile territory and it must be left free to imagine and fill in the blanks." -Eric G, architect/interior designer.

Read on more in the link below.

http://jpgmag.com/blog/2007/08/how_photography_can_make_you_a.html

No comments: